mercoledì, agosto 22, 2007

Requiem: A Tribute to Cai Zicong

Yesterday afternoon I received a message on MSN saying that one of my seniors from the NYJC choir (class of 2001) had recently passed away. Nothing in the world could have possibly prepared me for the news. I just sat staring at the computer screen, reading the message over and over again, perhaps willing the news to rectify itself. It didn't, and the news still stands: My senior, fellow chorister and friend is gone.

He was merely one year my senior; and for one at such tender age to pass on is a real pity indeed. He wasn't exactly what I'd call a bosom friend, but our friendship was close enough for me to feel that lingering twinge of remorse that will probably smart for a good few days.

Zicong was one with an avid sense of humour. He could hold a conversation well, regardless of what topic was being discussed at any given point. He had a pragmatic view of life, which made him non-fussy and hence a pleasant companion altogether. My fondest memories of him were our sing-along sessions, during choir gatherings or camps, where we free, happy few would gather round and belt out various renditions of song with me at the guitar.

To top it all off, he was a damn bloody good pool player. And while our pool sessions often resulted in me being on the wrong end of a thrashing, I managed to pick up a few good techniques to improve my game.

Life is that unpredictable. We often expect that the people around us to be always there, despite knowing that they won't; and Zicong's passing is a classic example of just that. We often live our lives taking for granted that the last time we see someone wouldn't be the last time. Yea, it all sounds cliche, I know, but only up till a point where it becomes a reality for you as it did for me.

So here are my reflections: Cherish your friends. Don't take them for granted. Don't always assume that they'll be in any condition to pick up the phone when you call them the next morning, because they just might not. And whenever you fongfeikei (stand up) someone, for even something as simple as a quiet lunch together, you might have just given up an opportunity to see that person for one last time.

I know it's morbid, but at least it gets our lives back into perspective.

That is all.


In loving memory of Cai Zicong (1983 - 2007). You will be sorely missed. My deepest, heartfelt condolences to his family and close friends.


n.b. please don't mistake this Zicong for the other one. The one who was in 01A2B in NYJC (also from the choir too) is TAN Zicong. He is alive and well. Thank God for that. Seriously.

Ye who seek for audience, let ye speak now!

And so it came to past that at 05 settembre, 2007 13:08, in the presence of The Eddie G., Anonymous Anonimo had spoken the following...

Life is short... really too short...

 
And so it came to past that at 13 settembre, 2007 16:55, in the presence of The Eddie G., Blogger Eddie G. had spoken the following...

Yea 'tis.

But we can take a small comfort in knowing that even a life so short can impact the lives of others.

It's not about how much time we have, it's what we do with it.

 

Posta un commento

<< Home