martedì, luglio 25, 2006

Favourites: An Omnibus

So far, I've not been getting much inspiration to write any new posts. What I have done though, was to scour all my previous posts that I've particularly enjoyed over the past few years of owning this blog. Yes, it's been that long already. To all of you, thanks for your endless support, and thank you for keep coming back. It means a lot :)

And now, without further ado, allow me to present to you a compilations of the pieces of writing that are closest to my heart. Hopefully, you will enjoy them as much as I did.



Chloe
Written on March 10, 2006

This probably ranks at the top of my favourite posts. The idea for this story was conceived when Leanne requested that I write a story on Chloe, her alter-ego. I did, and here it now stands. It also took me till now to realize that this post was actually written on my birthday, which goes to show how preoccupied with writing it that I didn't even notice.


*****


The Curse of Being Eddie G. II
Written on June 10, 2005

This story is the first time when the fabled Cathedral of Shattered Emotions was first mentioned in my writing (those who were in my writing class will understand). Of course, a first mention always bears some significance. I wouldn't go to great lengths to expound on what my inspiration was, but for those who have been around me long enough, you should have a vague idea ^_~


*****

The Difference Between Malaysians and Singaporeans
Written on April 18, 2005

I remember this post to be one of the most frequently visited one. I had recently installed my counter then, and shortly after this post, the hits just started pouring in to a point that I thought that there was a bug. In about 12 hours, I garnered about 800+ hits. In addition, this post has been quoted a few times by other people whom even I did not know. That really speaks for something.


*****

Kite
Written on December 10, 2004

It was a song I wrote, just for the fun of it. The lyrics pretty much sum up my writing style - nonsensical, but with a method to the madness.


*****


A Really Lame Short Story
Written on July 28, 2004

This story is probably the starting point at which I began to notice my flair and interest in creative writing. Of course, I've had spells of inspiration prior to this, but this short story (about 3000 words worth) is arguably the catalyst that started it all going.


*****


MURDER-CAR!
Written on September 1, 2005

During Malaysia's National Day in 2005, I sat down and began to reflect on what I was proud most of being a Malaysian. Of course, there wasn't much to choose from. So it took awhile before I decided to add a sardonic twist in my "favourite" characteristic of each and every Malaysian.


*****


Sawto Voase
Written on February 14, 2005

When it was still functional, Anna's blog was "organizing" an invitational for writers across the blogsphere to contribute their most creative descriptions of a room. Naturally, being me, I decided to view the room from a whole different perspective. I went off tangent (big surprise!) but I'm still proud of this work no less.


*****


The Dream
Written on April 30, 2005

As the name suggests, the story was based on a dream that I had. It was a dream that was beautiful yet disturbing. Today as I look back, this post reminds me of the struggles that I encountered last year. Heartbreak isn't something that goes away in a day... or night, for that matter.


*****


The Dream II
Written on August 24, 2005

Pretty much the same as The Dream, only much more beautiful... and disturbing.

Ye who seek for audience, let ye speak now!

And so it came to past that at 27 luglio, 2006 06:46, in the presence of The Eddie G., Blogger lee wei had spoken the following...

geez you really have nothing better to do eh. now i know why you were so self-absorbedly revisiting your blogs whenever i see you surfing at the office.

 
And so it came to past that at 29 luglio, 2006 13:34, in the presence of The Eddie G., Blogger Fikri had spoken the following...

Not a bad idea. I may do it myself... :>

I remember one that I really liked, but couldn't see here. Maybe I'll get back to you on that.

 
And so it came to past that at 30 luglio, 2006 23:42, in the presence of The Eddie G., Blogger Jo Jo Bumps had spoken the following...

hey wat happen to the commies award???

 
And so it came to past that at 02 agosto, 2006 08:08, in the presence of The Eddie G., Anonymous Anonimo had spoken the following...

University Malaya standard dropped the moment the UK General Medical Council stopped recognising UM medical degree. From medical, the '"disease" spread to other faculties over the years.

In fact I am waiting for past UM graduates to write more and more letter to highlight the real problems within the university. Otherwise, the VC will be in denial syndrome.

When are we going to see such a success story and the like back here? Maybe we have to wait for another 50 years. We are 50 years back compare to Singapore University and how we are going to catch up?

Our country is lack of strong R&D culture in all spectrums of sectors. Be it biz world, industrial, university, etc. Even MSC in the eyes of IT and property expert, it is just another "white elephant" and more on property development showcase rather than ICT.

What can argue is to certain extent valid, but look in holistic view if IT in MSC Cyberjaya is lack R&D, then our IT sector can absorb how many IT graduates? It is not a surplus of IT graduates but the Malaysia IT sector growth is limited, thus limit the employment opportunity.

Never compare with western or Singapore education level as our education fundamental systems are flaws from primary to tertiary level, constraint by current "third world mentality".

During my time, had excellent external examiners - Nobel laureate Yang Zheng Ning was one of them. We had never missed his speech each time he visited UM. I can still vividly recollect his comparison of NUS and UM students.

Singapore students have extremely good memory. They can memorise and reproduce word-by-word text from books into their answers. UM students used their own words to answer questions. What a compliment from a Nobel Prize winner! This day will never return!

These days, when I travel overseas, I refrain from telling people where I come from, if I can - you know the reason/reasons.

It is really sad to see all the good things gone forever. All systems in Malaysia are crumbling!

30 - 40 years ago, if you get a place in UM, you don't bother about going overseas. Nowadays, if you get a place in UM, it ranks behind places offered overseas, and even behind some twinning schools like Monash and Nottingham. Most of the ministers send their children to international schools, and then on to foreign universities.

The rot has set in too deep. The situation can only be reversed over a long period of time, starting with the overhaul of our entire educational system, and the establishment of a level playing field for all Malaysians.

If you sit in at any of the lectures, you will find it very boring, lacking, uninspiring in content and interaction.

An extension of our school system no doubt where it is just a one way traffic and the lecturer in front just delivers or reads his notes and the students just copy whatever they can, not questioning anything and the lecturer not giving anymore or encouraging intelligent discussion.

At exams, the lecturers give out very strong hints, even the questions themselves at times, to ensure their students pass.

Listen in on the tutorials and you wonder what they are all talking about, very low in intellectual contents, contributions and efforts. You would wonder what our schools and universities are producing and can't believe that you are actually at a university.

Everyone is just going through the motions of an "education process" for four years or more picking up absolutely nothing and with their minds essentially undeveloped and unprepared for their working lives ahead.

They graduate illiterate and useless, unable to communicate and fend, think for themselves. But they feel and think the world owes them a living.

You will then appreciate why our "graduates" are unemployable. Only the civil service and Pak Lah want them.

Even the education minister is sending his children overseas. It has always been the case. Local education is for the ordinary people but not for the ministers and royalties.

Bolehland has been screwed up by a bunch of "half-past-six" for many decades, in particular our education policy, which has been permanently damaged.

When MU was the only one university for the whole country, it was producing graduates recognized overseas. Medical degrees were recognized along with engineering, science, etc. Not so today.

It will take several generations to undo what politicians have done to the standards and the systems for the last thirty years. That is how bad it is.

The only thing that can reverse the sorry state of affairs in UM, and indeed in all the other universities, is the establishment of a level playing field. Have one entrance exam for all, and award places based on meritocracy. The level playing field must also extend to the teaching staff.

Where meritocracy prevails, the cream will rise to the top. It may take years to right the wrongs of the past, but we must start implementing the process of meritocracy now if there is to be any hope at all.

 
And so it came to past that at 02 agosto, 2006 16:38, in the presence of The Eddie G., Blogger Eddie G. had spoken the following...

I was spammed with 6 similar comments touching on how incompetent the Malaysian government is.

I left one on purpose, because here's my response to you guys

1) You guys are cowards to the very core. If you wanna badmouth the government, start your own blog, put your own shit there.

2) Running to blogs of others and posting your propaganda bullcrap shows how insensitive you all are. If the ISA were to start doing a crackdown, I'd get into major trouble. As for you, well, you're hiding behind a skirt of anonymity. Or pseudo-anonymity. That's just gay.

3) Get a proper job, get a girlfriend, get a social life. And if you want to sound intellectual on my blog, you'll probably fail miserably.

 

Posta un commento

<< Home